October is here and fall is definitely in the air. What better time to take advantage of the seasonal food items while they are at their peak. Try out these not only delicious but healthy recipes and add some fall flavor to your daily meals.
BREAKFAST: Pumpkin Pie Oatmeal
- 1/2 C old fashioned oats
- 1/2 C low fat milk
- 1 ripe banana, mashed
- 2 hefty shakes cinnamon
- 1/4 C canned pumpkin (or fresh pumpkin boiled and mashed)
- 1 small shake ground cloves
- 1 small shake ground nutmeg
- Add pecans, cranberries, blueberries, etc. (optional)
- Put the oats, milk, mashed banana, and cinnamon into a small pot on the stove.
- Stir continuously over medium high heat for about 5 minutes, or until the mixture gets thick and creamy (and starts slightly bubbling).
- Turn down heat to medium low and add in the pumpkin and a small shake each of ground cloves and ground nutmeg.
- Top with nuts, cranberries, blueberries, etc. (if desired)
LUNCH: Autumn Chicken Salad
- Chicken – (boiled) shredded or cut into small pieces
- 1 celery stalk, chopped
- 6-8 grapes, sliced
- Small handful walnuts, chopped
- Nonfat plain Greek yogurt
- Dijon mustard
- Cracked pepper
- Fresh spinach
- Whole wheat pita/bread Instructions:
- Start with the chicken in a small bowl. Add chopped celery, grapes, and a small handful of walnuts.
- Next, add some cracked pepper and a spoonful of plain yogurt and a squirt of Dijon mustard (add about 2 parts yogurt per 1 part mustard, to taste). No mayo necessary!
Mix it all up, place on a whole wheat pita or bread, top with spinach, and enjoy
SNACK: Pumpkin Seeds
- 1 ½ cups pumpkins seeds (clean and dried)
- 2 tsp. olive oil
- For spicy pumpkin seeds: 1/2 teaspoon each garlic salt, cumin, coriander and cardamom
- For sweet pumpkin seeds: 1 teaspoon each ground cinnamon, cloves and ginger and 1TB dark brown sugar
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees F.
- Toss pumpkin seeds in a bowl with olive oil and seasonings of your choice
- Spread seeds in a single layer onto a baking sheet (with parchment paper or lightly greased)
- Bake approximately 35 – 45 minutes (stirring occasionally) until golden brown
DINNER: Roasted Shrimp over Spaghetti Squash
- 1 large spaghetti squash (cut in 1/2 lengthwise & scoop out the seeds/strings – discard)
- Sea salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 pound large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 TB plus 1 tsp. extra-virgin light olive oil
- 1 TB lemon juice
- 1 TB fresh parsley, roughly chopped
- 2 TB fresh basil, roughly chopped
- Preheat the oven to 375ºF.
- Season the squash with salt and pepper.
- Place cut side down in a 9-by-13-inch baking dish.
- Add 3/4 cup water
- Cover with foil and roast until tender when pierced with a knife, about 45 minutes.
- Let cool about 10 – 15 minutes
- Carefully, with a fork, scrape the flesh of the squash into a large bowl. (it should string out like spaghetti)
- When squash has cooked about 25 minutes, place shrimp on a rimmed baking sheet
- Toss the shrimp with 1 teaspoon oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Roast (uncovered) until cooked through, 8 to 10 minutes.
- Add the shrimp, lemon juice, and 1 tablespoon oil; toss to combine.
- Toss in basil and parsley
- Plate the spaghetti squash and serve shrimp over the top – enjoy!