Spring is officially just days away and with that not only do we get to enjoy the extra daylight hours and warmer days but we also get to enjoy an array of fresh, peak of the season fruits and vegetables.
Here is a list of the top 10 “at their best” fruits and veggies for Spring:
- Brussel Sprouts
So whether you visit you grocery store or drop by your favorite road-side farmer’s market, take advantage of these fresh, bright and healthy gems and incorporate them into your daily Spring menu while they are at their peak.
To help give you a head start, here is a great recipe for breakfast, a mid-day snack or an after dinner treat:
Mixed Berry Parfait:
- 1/4 cups maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup steel-cut oats
- 1 cup old-fashioned oats
- 1/4 cups wheat germ
- 1/4 cups flax seeds
- 1 cup sliced almonds
- 4 cups low-fat vanilla yogurt
- 2 cups strawberries, blueberries, blackberries, and/or raspberries
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- Lightly grease rimmed baking sheet.
- Whisk together maple syrup, honey, oil and vanilla in a large bowl.
- Combine steel-cut oats, old-fashioned oats, wheat germ, flax seeds and almonds in a medium bowl.
- Add oat mixture to maple syrup mixture and stir until evenly coated.
- Spread mixture on prepared baking sheet.
- Bake about 25 minutes or until crisp and golden, stirring every 10 minutes.
- Make 2 layers of 1/2 cup yogurt, 1/4 cup granola and 1/4 cup berries in a parfait or wine glass. Repeat with remaining yogurt, berries and granola.
Note: The granola recipe makes 4 cups granola. Store remaining in air-tight container
* * * * * * * * *
Bodyrich Fitness Company
Certified Personal Trainer and Fitness Nutritionist