What would the holidays be without a gym? This is especially true with the soggy fall we have had so far and then Thanksgiving Christmas and New Year’s just around the corner. And so it begins…the time of year that the majority of people will begin to pad on an extra few pounds before feeling a bit guilty on January 2nd. For this reason, a good number of people can add a gym on their list of top things to be thankful for this year.
Here are a few more reasons to be thankful for the gym as well:
- Smith Machine – Variation is key and the Smith Machine allows for good form, and more control, which can lead to better isolation of key targeted muscles. Best picks: squats, lunges, deadlifts for the legs, shoulder shrugs for the traps, bench press, especially incline, for the chest, bent over rows for the back, and military press for the shoulders. Another good choice is close grip press for the triceps or upright rows for the deltoids and traps.
- Cable Pulley System – Isolation is the key and your best picks for maximizing these are rope crunches, tricep rope extensions, cable crossovers and bicep curl variations.
- The Bench- Probably the most well known and popular piece of equipment, the bench is so versatile that once mainly used for chest, it is dynamic for ab exercises like leg lifts and in-and-outs, back exercises like one arm rows, step ups/deep lunges and more.
- Free Weights – Talk about versatility, from bicep curls to walking lunges you can use free weights for unlimited amount of exercises. The benefit of these compared to machines is that you not only work the major muscle groups, you always incorporate the smaller supporting muscles and tendons as well.
- Batca/Nautilus Machines – Variety is key once again, and with the best lines of equipment, you can maintain perfect form, isolation, and control while keeping your muscles guessing. Plus you have a little support/built-in spotter n most machines.
- The Treadmill- Our good ole stand-by when the weather turns wet and/or cold. Though it is often referred to as the “dreadmill”, the treadmill is actually the all-time best known fat burner and cardiovascular conditioner. To shake things up a bit (and reduce boredom), try an incline to work the calves more or to increase intensity, move to interval training with 2 minute sprints plus 1 minute walks, or just hold steady at 6.0-7.0 for maximization.
- And finally, last but not least, Personal Trainers. Yes, we have a love-hate relationship with our trainers but we can always count on them to encourage us and push us. Even when we don’t see our own potential, they never give up on us, keep us working hard, pushing our limits and help keep us injury free.
So if you find yourself needing to burn off this year’s holiday treats and/or weight gain and need a little help or incentive to get you motivated, feel free to contact us here at Bodyrich Fitness. We will customized a fitness program and a diet guide that will help you reach your own unique and personal goals, from weight loss and fat burn to muscle toning, and overall fitness.
Certified Personal Trainer, Fitness Nutritionist, Exercise Therapy Specialist
Bodyrich Fitness Company
770-330-2126 or email email@example.com